Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Anyway, AIR is the way forward at work, and I'm an unashamed fan. So there.
But to the guts of this post. Something changed. Swurl.com got shut down thanks to some really nasty copyright hoopla occuring, and after a bit of searching I (and several other people I know) discovered storytlr.com. Storytlr is everything Swurl should've been but never achieved. It's so good that I decided to point www.twindx.co.uk to it - for all intents and purposes, my website is now run by storytlr. I'm shortly going to switch twindx.com to match twindx.co.uk and then my world will be completely unified thanks to the work of a pair of top-notch European coders.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
- this should be bold
- this should be italic
- and this should be a link to the editor's website
But otherwise, I'm guessing (as I type this, not knowing for sure) that this has been a success.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
I've got a terrible logo for it as well, once again
At the moment there's no rich-text editor, or any sort of blog management. I need to get more used to DHTML (and find the time to work with it) to get the management in. Work continues, but not with speed.
When there's something I'm not utterly embarrassed about showing, all my odds and sods will turn up on the project page, but the functionality is so basic right now (not quite a million miles away from the polished AIR app I desire, but a good 900,000 miles away) that right now it's just my claim being staked.
Friday, March 6, 2009
Monday, February 23, 2009
Okay, so my initial fumblings with the blog editor have failed. But I've learnt some important and interesting things along the way, which should make what I'm trying to do next much better. It means more work for me, but it should make it less like a slapped-together, hacked about bit of sample code and more like something that I'm happy to share.
Having spent a bit of time over the weekend looking at editor components, I've decide I'm going to use NicEdit as the basis for things. Although not as mature as other editor components like FCKeditor, Xinha, TinyMCE et al, it's small, fast and has a couple of neat features that I can use further along the development. Firstly, it has a plugin in development that produces XHTML code (something important to me - I want <em> and <strong> tags, not styled <span> tags) - it's not perfect, and the other editors have better ones, but it's incredibly lean and should be good enough. Secondly, and more importantly in the long run, it isn't restricted to replacing textarea boxes with its own textarea-like surface. It can make any <div> editable (or <span> or <p>), as you can see in this demo, and that would be ideal for snagging the CSS from a site so that the text you're editing appears exactly as it will when it's published. Real WYSIWYG, just like Live Writer does.
So, it's not quite back to the drawing board, because I've got an actual idea of how to develop things now (as opposed to just hacking away with a code machete).
The other thing I need to do is try and figure out how to get an AIR app to provide a valid API key to Google - but first things first, this is going to be an online editor. I'll tackle that further along the line.